Main Street Library
Welcome to Main Street Library! This branch of NNPL is centrally-located in Newport News, and near historic Hilton Village. The library's helpful staff is available to assist library users with all Newport News Public Library resources.
Please note: The Virginiana Room's weekend hours are limited to Saturday 10-2 and appointment only on Sunday.
- Virginiana Room Collection of Local History and Genealogy Information
- Creative Corner Makerspace
- One-on-One Device Training Sessions
- Research Assistance
- Youth Services: storytimes, youth programs, creative space for school-age children
- Youth iPad Kiosks and Computers
- Reading nook for preschoolers and parents and children and young adult materials collections
- Reading collections for adults
- Programs for Adults
- Copy, Scan & Fax Station
- Document Translation Service
- Computer Lab
- WiFi Public Internet Access
- Self-checkout Kiosks
- COS Site Business Center (formerly SNAP site)
3-D printer, sewing machine, Cricut Maker, Cricut Explore Air II, Silhouette Cameo, Silhouette Curio
One-on-one orientations with library staff are available. Please call Main Street Library staff to schedule an orientation first, in order to use the equipment.
The Main Street Library owes its beginnings to the Woman’s Club of Hilton Village. Beginning
in the mid-1930s, the women of the club collected enough money and books to open up a lending
library in a basement room of Hilton Elementary School. Up until the mid-1950s the Warwick County
Library, as it was called at the time, received no government funding and instead operated on donations
and staffed by volunteers. In 1954, again with fundraising help from the Woman’s Club of Hilton Village,
the library’s first permanent location was built just off Warwick Blvd. behind the Hilton Village Firehouse.
This building was expanded in 1964. When the City of Newport News and the City of Warwick consolidated in 1958, the library’s name was changed to the Main Street Library. The library’s current building opened to the public in February 1996.
1996: The Virginiana Collection moved to Main Street from the West Avenue Library.
2005: Local physician Dr. Herbert H. Neisser bequeaths Main Street Library about $2 million.
The library’s meeting room is named in honor of local philanthropist Adele McLaughlin Blair, and the computer lab is named in honor of former librarian Pat Anderson.
Adaptive Computer Equipment
Assisted devices to help accommodate individuals with disabilities are available for use at this branch upon request.
- High Contrast Keyboard
- Kensington Trackball
- NVDA Screen Reading Software
- Speech-to-Text Technology